DT - Art & Design Textiles

Examination Board: AQA

Head of Department: Mr Steve Berry

You are here :

DT - Art & Design Textiles

The Art & Design Textiles course allows students to demonstrate high levels of innovation and creativity. Students will gain an awareness of the elements of Textile Design to appreciate the relationship of form and function and working to the constraints of working to a brief. Students will produce practical and critical/contextual work in one or more areas of study, for example, fashion design, fashion textiles, costume design, digital textiles, printed and/or dyed fabrics and materials, domestic interior design, constructed textiles, art textiles and installed textiles. They will understand a variety of textile methods, such as fabric printing, tie-dye, batik, fabric construction and stitching (appliqué, patchwork, padding, quilting and/or embroidery). Students will also learn how ideas, feelings and meanings can be conveyed and interpreted in images and artefacts created in their chosen area(s) of Textile Design. Over the two years students explore historical and contemporary developments and different styles and genres.

Course Details – Exam Board: AQA

This is an exciting and vibrant course delivered through the investigation of the work of Artists and Designers and developed through experimentation of a wide range of media and skills. In the first year students will produce a full portfolio of work and a made outcome. Year 13 students produce a folio of work and outcome in the personal assessment worth 60% of the total A level and a 15 hour externally set assignment towards the end of the year making up the remaining 40% All units are controlled assessment/coursework based; there is no written examination.

Entry requirements

Students are required to achieve at least a Grade B at GCSE level in any Design Technology or Art & Design subject.


Marling School Sixth Form


Year 7 Camp 2013


Order or Download the School Prospectus


Meet the Head


Parent Information

Click here for useful information for parents.

2016 Entry




2016 Entry opens on 1 June 2015, email admissions@marling.gloucs.sch.uk with "reminder to register" in the subject line to receive notification of the registration window opening.

Marling Results


Read the latest edition of The Clarion


Letters Home to Parents


'Outstanding' Ofsted Report


INK Online Student Magazine


Today's events:

    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

August 2018 next


Main Office:
01453 762251
6th Form Office:
01453 760156